The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is an established national initiative, funded by the Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, and managed by the Council.
Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship 2022/2023
The Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme is unique in the Irish research landscape and complements other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. Among its features are:
- individual, prestigious awards for excellent research in the name of the applicant;
- an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review;
- funding across all disciplines, from archaeology to zoology; and
- awards for bottom-up, non-directed research, with the exception of those funded by our strategic funding partners.\
• There is no age limit for applicants to be eligible for either programme type.
• All applicants must be affiliated with an eligible Irish higher education institution or research-performing organisation.
• Applications will only be accepted in either the Irish or English language
• Applicants must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to the relevant programme, including to strategic partner themes. This applies regardless of whether the applicant has changed their host institution or research topic since a previous submission.
Degree type Duration of funding to be awarded
- Research master’s degree 1 year
- Structured research master’s degree 2 years
- Traditional doctoral degree 3 years
- Structured doctoral degree 4 years
- a stipend of €18,500 per annum;
- a contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum; and
- eligible direct research expenses of €3,250 per annum.
|Call open||16:00 (Irish time) 8 September 2022|
|FAQ deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 13 October 2022|
|Applicant deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 20 October 2022|
|Supervisor deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 27 October 2022|
|Research office endorsement deadline||16:00 (Irish time) 3 November 2022|
|Call outcome||End of March 2023|
|Award start date||1 September 2023|
For More Information: