Education and Technology: 7 Pros and Cons
Today, information technologies have become an integral part of the modern world. They determine the further economic and social development of mankind. In terms of such conditions, a system of learning also requires revolutionary changes.
The relevance of this issue takes place in the modern educational environment because today qualitative teaching cannot be carried out without the use of computer technologies and the Internet. They enable the teacher to better presentation of the material, make it more interesting, quickly test students’ knowledge and increase their interest in learning. An average teacher has an opportunity to receive the most up-to-date information, actively communicate with colleagues, pupils, and parents. This increases the authority of the teacher, he can indeed be a bearer of culture, knowledge, modern perspectives.
The formation of the technical competence is not just a matter of time, but a necessity for any person living in the information society. In the age of modern technologies, it is very difficult to protect children from the use of various gadgets: computers, telephones, tablets, etc. And whether it is necessary? Perhaps using these devices children will also get a lot of benefits?
Today we are going to talk about the pros and cons of technology using in education.
Advantages of using gadgets and PC
PC, laptops, tablets, and smartphones are a perfect way of getting an access to information on the Internet and make the use of various education programs possible. The following positive aspects can be distinguished:
- Development of fine motor skills. Working with joystick, buttons and touchscreen devices allow you to develop fingers and train fine motor skills. By the way, racking the movement of a computer mouse on the screen allows you to train an attention of the baby.
- Junior school children education. Occurs with a help of special educational programs and games connected with visual images and active forms of the child’s work. Being in a classroom the child is offered a problematic situation and he has to find a solution to it, analyzing the initial data, doing research and research activities. For example, it can be games with building letters from lines, correlating concepts with images, etc.
- An access to a lot of useful information directly from home! On the Internet, students can read the latest news, find texts, using any custom essay company,books, interesting information about the great discoveries, travelers, historical events, etc. The advantage of the Internet is the instant arrival of new information.
- Formation of the “search & filter” information skill. The most active this skill is formed in adolescence. The abundance of various information sites puts the student in front of the need to analyze all the received information and to select a reliable. In addition to the skills of searching and filtering information, it also develops the ability to think critically.
- Communication with classmates and teachers. Special blogs and groups in social networks, created for students of a certain class are a perfect example of the use of technology in education. Here, the teacher and students can exchange information and news, discuss any issues, work together on projects, etc.
- New material becomes easy to digest and memorize. Activating all the communication channels at once and consuming information through visual and audio matters provides better results in terms of memory.
- Everyone can study even staying at home. There is no need to attend a class to get all the learning material.
The use of gadgets has many advantages, but it is necessary to follow certain rules in order not to cause harm to health.
Disadvantages of using gadgets and PC
In terms of technology and education a frequent and unregulated use of gadgets can’t be good for students, but on the contrary, may lead to a number of negative consequences:
- Health problems. Frequent sitting behind a computer or tablet can lead to redness and dryness of the eyes, impaired vision, impaired posture, muscle problems (because of prolonged immobility), oxygen starvation of the brain (as a result of squeezing blood vessels and lack of fresh air), sleep disorders.
- Psychological problems. Children who have used gadgets and spend little time with their peers from an early age can have problems with social adaptation. They find it difficult to communicate with people, find a common language with them, they are shy, know little about life outside the computer and are lost in real life situations.
- This is the most serious consequence of using PCs and gadgets. It is formed under the influence of many aspects (frequent use of the device, lack of other interests in life, personal problems, etc.) and has a number of symptoms.
- Fanatic tracking of new technology and an uncontrollable desire to receive them (frequent requests to buy a device, whims, and tantrums, if this does not happen).
- The emergence of a sense of euphoria when using the device. The child feels happy only when he has the opportunity to hold a gadget in his hands, sit at a computer, go online, etc.
- The absence of other interests, goals, and aspirations. The schoolboy forgets everything and has no other joys, all the time he spends only with the device. The emergence of problems in school (problems with behavior, absenteeism, bad marks, etc.)
- Disregarded family and friends: family members and friends go into the background – the child practically does not communicate with them. A negative reaction (crying, aggression, hysterics, resentment, etc.) attempting to restrict a work with the device.